Sunday, July 16, 2006

 

Ballycastle to Pompey

So I went to two weddings in two days the other week. The first was the grand union of Clodagh and Martin over in Northern Ireland. The actual marrying part of the gig was in a fantastic church in Ballycastle and the reception was in Ballymena. I asked my co-travellers what 'Bally' meant, local boys as they are with brains like steel-traps and tongues as sharp is stanley knives. Not one of them knew the answer. It's a anglicisation of the gaelic word 'baile' which means 'town', you thick fecking eejits!

The wedding was great and anybody who's remotely interested can check out Murphy's totally undistorted collection of piccies here. It's difficult to sum up the how brilliant the whole thing was when there are so many verbally gifted gobshites over in Belfast who can do it so much better, so I suggest you ask one of them. If you are from outside of N. Irelend, record the answer on a dictaphone and play it back again and again until the batteries begin to wear down and when this happens, the voices will slow down to a speed and tone understandable to the human ear. Patience is required but it will be worth the trouble.

For my part, I offer this...

And so they got married, Martin and Clodagh,
She looked gorgeous, you should've seen her
They went together like whiskey and soda,
As they Bally'd from Castle to Mena.

I felt so honoured, as grand as it sounds
Of this day we'll all talk often,
They both make you feel like a million pounds,
And that's the wonder of them.

Thangyouverymuch and my warmest wishes again to the Cassidys.

I gate-crashed the other wedding the next day and instead of rambling, will hand over to Young Omal Speaks for a description. Naomi and Brad kindly enivited me to the evening do and all I had to do was send a tonsilitis bug to Liverpool and Bob's yer uncle, I wangled a seat for the speechies and eaties.

A message to both of you; I can tell already that you will be together for life so all I can say is that I look forward to a sharing another camping trip with you, near a housing estate round the corner from wherever Kevin is living at the time.

Goodnight my sweets.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home Locations of visitors to this page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?